4th of July Treat
Celebrating the 4th of July in true American fashion always means eating. This year, I went the patriotic route: a red, white and blue shortcake trifle.
This dessert is super easy and delicious. Trifles are simple to make since you can switch out any fruit or cake to meet your preference, and the cake doesn't need to look pretty since it will be cut up under cream and fruit. This trifle consists of layers of delicious almond cake, almond cream, and strawberries and blueberries. And it was so freaking good. Perfect for snacking on poolside.
- 1/2 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour your baking dish. I used a 9 x 13 baking pan to get a thinner layer of cake for the trifle.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, cake flour and baking powder.
- Using a mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and add vanilla extract and slowly pour in confectioners' sugar. Mix until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Raise speed to high and add the egg yolks and whole eggs, one at a time. I cracked my eggs into a separate bowl before pouring them into the mixture to ensure I didn't add any additional whole eggs than the recipe called for.
- Lower the speed to medium and add the sour cream and dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake in the lower third of the oven for 35 minutes, or until the cake is golden. Cool completely before assembling the trifle.
Almond Whipped Topping:
- 1 container Cool Whip, lite, thawed
- 4 oz. cream cheese, low fat, softened
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
Combine Cool Whip and cream cheese with a spatula, stirring until smoothly combined. Add in the sugar and almond extract (this can be as much or little as you like, depending on preference). Place in the fridge until you're ready to assemble your trifle.
- strawberries, sliced
- almond cake, cut into bite sized pieces
- almond whipped topping
- 12 clear plastic cups
- Lay out your 12 serving cups.
- Start with a single layer of cake on the bottom of each cup. Cover the cake with a dollop of the whipped cream, followed by strawberries and blueberries. Cover with more whipped cream and repeat the layers again. Enjoy!