Coconut Fruit Pizza
I had big plans for this dessert. I started making it last weekend with the idea to present it to my mother on Mother's Day since it includes some of her favorite flavors: coconut, kiwi, banana, almond. And in an attempt to keep it healthy, I made my first ever coconut flour crust. And failed. Horribly.
It was a crumbly, tasteless mess and obviously something I couldn't present to my mom on her day. I believe the words that came out of my mouth to Andy were, "I'm the worst food blogger ever." Maybe a little dramatic, but I was bummed.
BUT unwilling to accept a failed recipe, I gave it another go. I switched it up and made sure to add in ingredients to give it the flavor it was missing the first go-around. The result? This fresh, light fruit pizza with lots of coconut flavor. A.k.a.: Perfect for my coconut, fruit loving mama.
Coconut Fruit Pizza
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbs honey
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 1 kiwi sliced
- 1/2 banana sliced
- shredded coconut, toasted
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Place the coconut milk in the fridge overnight.
- In a bowl, place the coconut flour, honey, coconut extract and 1/4 cup of honey. Mix it up until fully incorporated and spread it onto a greased cookie sheet, rolling it out until it's about 1/4 inch thick. Place in a 350 degree oven for 8 - 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- While your cookie is baking, scoop out the solid coconut milk from the can into a mixer. Whip the cream until peaks form. Pour in your remaining honey and mix it until fully combined. Place it into the fridge to keep the consistency until you're ready to use it.
- Once your pizza base is cooled, place it on a surface to top it. Spread the whipped coconut over the cookie, followed by a layer of the banana and kiwi slices. Then, sprinkle the toasted, shredded coconut and sliced almonds over the top of the fruit pizza.