Baked Apple Cider Donuts
This recipe is the result of a Saturday night at home when Andy made a comment about really wishing there was a solid local spot to get spiced apple cider donuts from. Growing up in the mid-west where apple cider items are aplenty, he was missing his fix for this time of year. But being in Florida where fall is barely a thing, apple cider donuts are not a local specialty.
Andy doesn't make many requests for specific foods, but when he does I try to oblige. While I'm sure he'd much rather be eating man food consisting of manly potatoes and manlier meats, he more often ends up being the taste tester of my healthy creations. I tell ya, I truly got myself a winner.
He was only too happy to taste test these baked treats though. Warm out of the oven and coated in cinnamon sugar, they were just what our Saturday night needed while we were wrapped up warm in a blanket on the couch in our air conditioned living room. That's Florida in the fall for you.
Apple Cider Donuts
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease your donut tin.
- In a small sauce pan on the stove, melt your butter into your cider. Once the butter melts, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and egg, and then slowly pour in the butter cider mixture.
- Add your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- Pour the batter evenly into your pan and bake for 7 - 1o minutes.
Brown Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 3 tbs butter
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- While your donuts are baking, combine the sugars and cinnamon in a bowl large enough to dip your donuts into.
- Melt your butter in the microwave.
- When the donuts have cooled for a couple minutes, dip them in the melted butter and then the cinnamon sugar. Allow to sit for a couple minutes before enjoying.