Skillet Sweet Potato Shepard's Pie
The entire time I was dreaming up and cooking this dinner, I could only think of my dad. What's one of his go-to dishes that he takes to work pot lucks? Shepard's pie. What's one of his favorite meals to cook for a cold night? Shepard's pie. What's one of his most ordered meals when we visit his homeland? Shepard's pie.
I myself have always been a fan. Meat and veggies covered in gravy and mashed potatoes? Sign me up. It's a comfort meal, I'm sure due to the memories I have of my dad loving it so much. It's also one of my most ordered meals when we visit the UK, since it's one of the three staples served at every pub: Shepard's pie, bangers and mash, and fish and chips.
Since I was feeling nostalgic this week, I decided to chance creating my own healthy, simple version at home. Any time I can throw all of the ingredients into a skillet to cook in the oven and I'm sold. Covered in sweet potatoes? You don't have to ask me twice. The blend of the the apple chicken sausage with the sweet potatoes is definitely a turn from the traditional recipe, but when have I ever been traditional?
Skillet Sweet Potato Sheppard's Pie
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 package of apple chicken sausage (or desired sausage)
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup butternut squash
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tbs maple syrup
- 2 tbs Italian seasonings
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and place your cast iron skillet in the oven to heat.
- In a pot of boiling water, add your sweet potatoes. Cook for 15 minutes or until fork tender.
- In a hot skillet, saute your garlic and onion.
- Once your onions are translucent, add in the peas, corn, squash, and chicken broth. Cover and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drain your potatoes. Return to the pot and mash.
- Add the maple syrup, salt, and pepper to your mashed potatoes. Return to the stove on low heat.
- Add your diced chicken sausage and seasonings to your veggies, cooking until warm.
- Remove your skillet from the oven and grease. Layer the sausage and veggie mixture on the bottom, topping with a smooth layer of sweet potatoes.
- Cook for 45 minutes, or until the top has browned.